Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Crocodiles, giraffes, a lion and

I purchased a panel last year.  I also had two fabrics that co-ordinated with it.  It was time.........time to make it up.

I had an idea of how I wanted to make this up.  I found this on the internet and wanted to do something similar with this panel.
However, the panel only had 8 blocks.  I didn't want to go 2 across x 4 down or 4 across x 2 down..............I wanted something square but 8 doesn't square up very well.  I made the major decision to cut up the panel and then had to figure out what I was doing.  A little light bulb came on, so I brought up EQ on the computer and puttered away. This was looking great so I thought I was off and running

only to grind to a halt when I found out I didn't have enough fabric.  I phoned Bernice at the store and all the colorways were gone!  Why do I leave things so long?  Procrastination.....................he reared his ugly head again. 

I went down to the  shop and with a load of help Karen found a gold fabric that works and I kept the orange along with the backing and a new border.  This is what was accomplished one afternoon.  I know you are desperately wondering what is going in the middle.  I just know you are.

I didn't think to take a photo of the panel but each block had a frame around it, so I trimmed it down to 1/8" so I knew it wouldn't show through when I was done.  I didn't pre-wash any of this either.  Just started cutting and sewing them together.  I did rows one and three in a day and would have completed the middle row except I had a senior's moment and had to stop for the day.

These were the two fabrics I had purchased a year ago.  I love them.  The stripe is going on the back and the orange will be the sashing for some of the blocks.  I needed one more and a border.  The green leaf was still on the shelf and it worked with the orange and gold.  It worked really well as a matter of fact.  You would have thought it was made for it!

Okay, that centre block.  A couple of years ago I found a quilt in a magazine I just had to make.

It was called Jungle Babies and in each corner were monkeys.  I had run the patterns off on cardstock and found them...............haven't seen the magazine yet although I did look............and enlarged the pattern for my centre block.  I made the body a bit different, more in line with the top left block.

Here it is.  Traced, pressed and sewn down.

Ta-da!!!!!  I'm calling this one

Monkey in the Middle. 

I have no idea where that popped up from, but by golly it works. 

Tomorrow, tomorrow, you'll love me's only a day away.

You re so lucky that wasn't my voice you heard.

Search This Blog

Humboldt Broncos

Humboldt Broncos
This blog is dedicated to the young people that lost their lives from the Humboldt Hockey Team. It is also dedicated to the first responders, the doctors and nurses and to the families and the people of Saskatchewan

by Maya Angelou

"Sometimes a small thing you do can mean everything in another person's life. When you learn, teach. When you get, give."

Print Friendly

Print Friendly and PDF