Monday, March 19, 2012

Magazines for a Monday



Easy Quilts by Fons and Porter

Before I begin let me say I never purchase a magazine wrapped in plastic.  If I can't see what's inside I leave it on the shelf.  The magazines range in price from $8.00 to $10.00 and if I bought a mag at that price and couldn't find anything in it to make then I figure I wasted money.  Money I could have spent on my addiction.............fabric!  This particular one was $8.00 so I hoped there would be something inside I liked.

This is what caught my eye.  As soon as I saw it, I thought I'm making this.  I think it was the simplicity of it that grabbed me and then when I came home I instantly thought of what fabric I could use.
I've had these fabrics sitting in this little box for awhile.  Its time to use them up.  One fabric is going out of the collection..................the white one as it will blend with the cream I have every intention of using.

Once I was home, I looked through the rest of the pages.  Boy oh boy, this was a good buy.  I found 3 more I can do.

This is one.  I love it.  I'm not sure about the blue..................that I have to think about.  Yellows and greens work better in my home.

I have always wanted to make a card trick quilt.  I have looked at the pattern and walked away.  This one says its easy so I may give it a go.  I love the colours and it would make a great quilt for a boy.  I'm thinking of leaving off the borders ~~ they are 10" ~~ which would leave me with a quilt 35" x 47", perfect for donation.


Black, white and lime green.  Love the combo.  Black, white, red.............love that combo.  Black, white, brilliant yellow..................good together too.  This quilt works and I love it.  I wonder if a good electric blue would work.  That would be different.

It is simple to put together and I figured that just looking at the photos.  Straight cutting all the way.  A very doable quilt.  Oh and its square............something else I like, because when you throw it on the bed it doesn't matter which way it goes on.

The other great thing I love about this magazine ................... they show you the design of the quilting pattern they used.  That is numero uno problem for me.  How the heck will I quilt the quilt?  They sit for months until I make that huge decision.  I don't have to follow their ideas, but at least it gets me started.

Oh, I guess you would like to know who the lucky ladies are:  Here goes and in no particular order.....and chosen by none other than Karl, so you all owe him a hug the next time you see him

Drum roll please.

Yes, I'm dragging this out......................

Bonnie from Ontario

Jan from Newfoundland

Nanci from Ontario

Leslie from British Columbia

If you will please email me your addresses, I'll be popping your winnings in the mail later in the week.

Congratulations to all and thank you for taking part.


ALERT
Teacher Karen Combs has had her quilts stolen.  Please check out this link for more information
http://karencombs.wordpress.com/2012/03/18/quilts-stolen/

Search This Blog