Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Quilter of the Month

Who is it this month?  It is someone I have known for a long time, she is a founding member of our Guild and if not for her, I may not have become a member.  This gal called me many years ago and asked if I would like to come out to the first Guild meeting.  The rest as they say is history.

Janet Rhind

quilter

fibre artist

creator

lecturer

instructor

When you step into Janet's studio







one word greats you. 




and that Janet does.  In so many ways.  From the dolls sitting on the table

(which have been on exhibit in different places)
to  art pieces, Janet's creativity is endless.  The work is all Janet's from the start to the finish.  She does all her own machine quilting and there is no long arm machine.

This shows the quilting and the following photograph is the entire piece.  I love the background work in this one.  I would never think to use those fabrics all together.  I may have to give this a try.


Up the Garden Path

A close up of "Geranium" and then the whole piece

 Janet can take a photo and make it into outstanding artwork.  I'm just going to let you take these two pieces in.


 My photography work does not do these two pieces justice.  They are outstanding.





This next piece is something Janet is working on at the moment.  It was hanging on her flannel wall.  The photo she is working from is the first and then the work in progress.  She thought she had it all figured out, but when she put the pink fabric up, it didn't "work".  So now she starts over.  I can relate to that.


 

I found this sitting on a little table after I shot the photos of Janet's studio.  Can you find the photograph in it?  This is something new Janet is doing.  I love it.  It's different, it's unusual and it's a conversation piece.  We may have to have a workshop on this. 


I have favourites that Janet has made.  This is one of the them.  I can see this hanging in the foyer of the Princess of Wales Theatre in Toronto.  I should talk to the owner, shouldn't I?  Janet agrees with that thought.   This is  Masquerade Theatre


Will some of these pieces be in our upcoming quilt show?
My lips are sealed.


Janet's website is here.


Search This Blog