Just Ducky

Just Ducky
by Cheri Leffler

Until the next quilt

Bella Sophia

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Odds and Sods

Have you ever kept track of the amount of time it takes to do what we think is a simple task?  Sewing a block together definitely comes to mind for me after last week.

I've joined a small group on my quilting forum called "This and That".  We choose two projects that will take us more than 8 hours to complete and give them the name This or That.  I picked my Odds and Sods quilt and the new baby quilt. We have to keep track of the time we spend on each one.  Day one for me was a looser.  It took me 1 1/2 hours to press fabric, cut and then sew 8 blocks. 
My bobbin didn't wind properly, so I had a re-do, my thread broke, not once, but twice. 

The next day I sat and did some more.  It was still a "this" day. 

I kept chugging along and got more accomplished but boy oh boy, it does take time.


Well, I'm now up to 5 hours, and I can see a light at the end of the tunnel.  I don't have any more blocks to make.  I have extra now!!!!!  The plan was for a 60" x 60" quilt top.  However, with the extra rows why not just make it longer.  So now it is going to be 72" x 60".........72 being the length. 
Karl has claimed this quilt.  He wants it for a summer quilt for the trailer.  Robin is going to machine quilt it for me next month, maybe this month so it will be ready in plenty of time.

After 6 1/4 hours I have the top put together.


Now to make a backing.  I'm using that fun fabric and putting a strip down the middle just like the blocks.  I don't have any choice really.  I don't have enough fabric for the width. 


by Maya Angelou

"Sometimes a small thing you do can mean everything in another person's life. When you learn, teach. When you get, give."

Search This Blog

Print Friendly

Print Friendly and PDF