Thursday, January 19, 2012

Odds and Sods

Have you ever kept track of the amount of time it takes to do what we think is a simple task?  Sewing a block together definitely comes to mind for me after last week.

I've joined a small group on my quilting forum called "This and That".  We choose two projects that will take us more than 8 hours to complete and give them the name This or That.  I picked my Odds and Sods quilt and the new baby quilt. We have to keep track of the time we spend on each one.  Day one for me was a looser.  It took me 1 1/2 hours to press fabric, cut and then sew 8 blocks. 
My bobbin didn't wind properly, so I had a re-do, my thread broke, not once, but twice. 

The next day I sat and did some more.  It was still a "this" day. 

I kept chugging along and got more accomplished but boy oh boy, it does take time.


Well, I'm now up to 5 hours, and I can see a light at the end of the tunnel.  I don't have any more blocks to make.  I have extra now!!!!!  The plan was for a 60" x 60" quilt top.  However, with the extra rows why not just make it longer.  So now it is going to be 72" x 60".........72 being the length. 
Karl has claimed this quilt.  He wants it for a summer quilt for the trailer.  Robin is going to machine quilt it for me next month, maybe this month so it will be ready in plenty of time.

After 6 1/4 hours I have the top put together.


Now to make a backing.  I'm using that fun fabric and putting a strip down the middle just like the blocks.  I don't have any choice really.  I don't have enough fabric for the width. 


Search This Blog