Thursday, November 17, 2011

Hanging sleeve

This is for Patti.  Its all about that conversation we had on Facebook one day.
Easy peasy hanging sleeve.  This is the easiest sleeve you will ever make.   All shows will ask you to make your sleeve 4" wide so they can hang them.  This will finish up to just about that size.  If you are planning on putting your quilt in a juried show, follow their guidelines.  This is great for your regular guild show.
The first thing is to measure the width of your quilt/wallhanging/whatever.  Then subtract 4" from that.  Therefore if your width is 14 1/2", you will cut your piece 10 1/2".  If this is a piece of left over fabric and you can't find the straight grain, tear it and then if you want you can trim away the loose threads.
My piece measured 23".
I needed my fabric cut 9" x 19 1/2".  Why the 9"?  Because when you sew it together you will have a  sleeve the right depth to sew on your project.  It will finish up 4 1/2" x 19".

Sew the 2 short ends together, right sides facing.  Reinforce the stitching end when the fold is.  The open end will be stitched over when you sew it to the wallhanging/quilt/whatever.
Turn the sleeve right sides out, wrong sides together, and take it to your ironing board and give it a good pressing.
Find the centre of the project and mark it with a pin and do the same with the sleeve. 
 




Starting in the middle, pin towards one edge and then go back and pin towards the other edge.  Stitch in place.  (When I do this, I already have the binding sewn down.)  Then I ue a wide, long zig-zag stitch to hold all the layers together.  On my machine the width is 7.0 and the length 8.0.  Play around with your machine to find what you like best.

All you have left to sew is the bottom part of the sleeve.  I pin this very carefully on a flat surface before I start.  On a couple of occasions I wasn't careful and made a complete mess of things.  Live and learn.

If I have a joined back, I try to have a joined sleeve.  This was my October BOM.

And this is my Let's Twist backing with the sleeve attached.  Can't tell where it is can you?  Should I decided to put these in a show they are ready to go.  I try to put a sleeve on everything I make.  It saves time at the end and there is a lot less hand stitching.



If you would like to download the directions and put them in a safe place for future reference, here you go.





Search This Blog