Thursday, October 27, 2011

Ah, nuts!

My iron has developed a leak!  Karl tried to fix it, but if he puts the glue exactly where it should go, I'll get no steam at all. I really liked this iron because it was cordless.  I could have it on the ironing board in the laundry room for big pressing jobs, or take it into the sewing room when I was working with fusible web. 











Of course, my old faithful, now 46 years old, is still going.  It has hit the floor numerous times and the cord had has to have repairs, but what a little gem this is.  It was made by GE and my aunt and uncle gave it to us as a wedding gift.  My uncle thought my aunt was cheap to give us only an iron and made her go out and buy something else.  She opted for a hand held mixer and that is still going strong too.  She made great choices.


This is what I have now.  Brand new steam iron......................


It is a Rowenta and it's wonderful.  It cost a lot of money by my standards so it better "take a licking and keep on ticking" for a long time.  So far so good.  I wear my glasses when I sew, and the steam comes out of this iron so well that it steams up my glasses too. 

I love the crispness of the seams I'm getting also.  Yes, there are others out there that have been recommended to me, but I found that some of them are so heavy.  I don't know why they feel like that to me ~~ oh, wait, maybe I'm a weakling.

When I got this iron, I couldn't figure out how to work it, so I actually read the instruction book.  I read a couple of things that really surprised me.  This is one of the them:
Do not use descaling agents, as these damage the lining of the steam chamber and so may impair the steam function.
and this is another.
 Spray starch onto the reverse side of the fabric to be ironed.  This will avoid your soleplate from turning brown.
The latter tip may depend on the type of soleplate your iron has.  I am going to have to remember that.  I use a lot of spray starch when quilting.

Search This Blog