Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Time out

for Mother Nature.

This past Saturday Karl and I were out in the yard talking about our new perennial bed he is making.  I looked up into the sky and saw Mother Nature at her finest.  Flocks (if you call them that) of Monarch butterflies were overhead heading toward, I suspect, Lake Erie for the annual fall migration.


You can click on all the photos so they will become larger.
It was a perfect day for them.  They like warm, sunny weather to fly in.  If it's cold they cluster in the tree tops and stay put til a better day comes along.


Sunday in the afternoon I went outside for some fresh air and in the backyard were a lot of Monarchs.  They were on the sedum and the marigolds.  I hadn't taken my camera out with me, so I scooted back in the house. 


These delicate little insects have to journey to Mexico for the winter.  That means from my backyard in Ontario, across one of the Great Lakes, over the entire United States of America
and then into Mexico.  Quite a journey for them.  With all the nectar they are collecting from Karl's marigolds, they are storing up a lot of fuel to at least get to Point Pelee.




















After I took a few pictures, I walked back over to the sedums and found a bee enjoying his mid-day meal. 

 Our backyard will soon be home to the chickadees and the juncos but I don't think I'll be as lucky snapping their photos.  But, you never know............................



We both went for our medicals yesterday afternoon.  I'm a good girl and go every year, but Karl -- not so much!  Anyway we both passed with flying colours.  I was told I have the heart of a 20 year old, but the body of someone who is much too short.  I can't grow, so the weight has to go.  Back to the treadmill starting today.  Its ready for me.  We made sure of that as soon as we came home.


Search This Blog