Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Perhaps

In the past few weeks some things have happened that have prompted today's blog.  It isn't about my family, it isn't about quilting, not about holidays either.  Its about people...............ordinary, perhaps; everyday, perhaps people.

An expression I heard so many years ago came to mind as a neighbour spoke to me about a young lad I've watched grow up.  He is the same age as our daughter.  40.  This lad is a genius, he is the most outstanding artist, but life has not been kind.  Some of the people around know the whole story about this boy, others have heard gossip, others have only heard one side of the story.  As I listened, I thought to myself......you don't know the whole story.  You aren't being fair.  I stopped him and told him that we like this young man.  He has never done anything to us.  He always uses his manners when he speaks to us.  He never passes us on the street that he doesn't say hello.  Then I told him what I knew.  He stopped condeming this lad.  I hope just not to me.  Perhaps I helped put this man's thinking into perspective.  I hope so.

It got me to thinking...........................sometimes we don't know the story.  Sometimes we don't know why people are aloof, or perhaps complaining, or worse yet, whining.

Perhaps something has happened to that person in her childhood.  Perhaps she never felt the warmth of a hug or was ever told "I love you."

Perhaps they were molested in a movie theatre as a teen-ager and that's why going to the movies with you is out of the question.

Perhaps they were involved in a car accident and although they now drive, they won't travel outside of their town.

Perhaps her husband is growing old and forgetful, and although they know this can and will happen, it still is hard to watch his decline.

Perhaps she suffers from dyslexia and that's why she doesn't answer her emails. 

Perhaps a personal problem is causing her angst, but sharing it at the moment is difficult.

Perhaps a death in the family has caused them more hurt and grief than you will ever know.

Perhaps we should walk a mile in that person's shoes before we think to ourselves................."suck it up".

Perhaps we could all try harder to make this world a better place to live in. 



Search This Blog