Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Honestly!!!

I got an email from Irene last week and she was so sad.  She was sewing her binding on her R x R quilt (row by row) and she was one inch short to finish it off.  She got that fixed up and her bobbin ran out of thread one inch before she was done.  No wonder she was sad and just a whole lot mad.

Now let me tell you my sad tale and it all happened on the same day!!!!  I downloaded this pattern from Angie's before I went away.  Down by the Sea.  I loved it the minute I saw it.  Perfect BOM for August.

I started to work on it.  I cut the sky and the sand (perfect sand fabric I might add),



I cut border number 1.  Cut it the wrong width.  Can I add 1/2" to 3/4"?....................obviously not.  Added the next border and discovered I had cut that wrong too!  My brain had wandered off and it wasn't coming back anytime soon, so then I started doing my own thing.

I had decided ahead of time instead of the 1" squares on the right side, I would cut into this great new fabric I had bought for Taylor's quilt.  It seems so right for this one.

I tried something new on the borders too.  I had always wanted to do this so seeing as I had totally messed up so far, now was as good a time as any to give it a go.

I had chosen all the fabrics ahead of time.  Now see those starfish along the bottom?

  For some idiot reason I kept thinking sand dollars.  Had the sand dollar fabric picked out.................had a story to tell you about them and then way off in the distance this little voice kept saying --"hey you those aren't sand dollars.  They're starfish."  Even says so on the pattern. Dum-de-dum-dum!!!!

When I got the top done, I traced the pattern (even remembered to reverse, so help was arriving) and then came upstairs to put the roast in the oven and have a coffee.  I thought a break was called for.

There is more to this saga.  Stay tuned tomorrow for chapter two!!!!

I will leave you with this though..............................

Oh would you like the story about the sand dollars?  Okey-dokey.  Many years ago Karl and I were walking Myrtle Beach and out of the corner of my eye, I saw this sand dollar wash up with a wave.  I bent over and picked it up.  I had never seen one before and we never saw one again on this particular beach.  We did find another at Huntington Beach and one was given to us by someone.  Do not remember who!

A few years later when vacationing in Nova Scotia (wait that's who gave me the tiny one), a fellow camper told us to go to Shelburne and we could get as many sand dollars as we wanted.  Off we trouped.

View Larger Map

We were more or less staying up in Lunenburg, (well, alright, down the road and around the corner) so it took us the day.  Of course when we got there the tide was in and the lighthouse was out in the water.  We asked about the tides and decided to go back into the Town for lunch.  We returned only to find the tide wasn't quite out.  We took off our shoes and started to walk out.  Holy hannah was that water cold!!!   After a few minutes we couldn't even feel our feet.  We perservered though and found these wonderful little sand dollars.
They are very delicate so I keep them in a special box.  They only come out on special occasions such as this one.  I have been told, but don't know if it is true, that large sand dollars can be found in the southern Atlantic Ocean and they are almost pure white.  As you travel further north they get smaller and darker.  You know I should check that story out.


Tomorrow....................it does get better!

Search This Blog