Thursday, June 16, 2011

Pot Luck Suppers

I am not a fan of pot luck suppers.  I never know what to take.  I would rather cook the entire meal for people than try to figure out what salad, what dessert, what appetizer to take.  Well appetizers I never sign up for cause I only know one and for that one you have to sit close by and be a "dipper".   Its called the Festive Favourite Layered Dip.  Its fabulous with Dorito scoops.

Salads I love. All of them!  I can whip up a salad as quick as a wink of an eye.  I have favourites, but no two are ever the same.  It all depends what's growing in the garden.  Course there are other types of salads too.  This is a favourite for taking places.  Its called Wategate Salad and its from Kraft Foods.

Here is what you need:

2 cups of miniature marshmallows
2 pkg (4 serving size) Pistachio Instant Pudding
2 cans (14 fl. oz/398 ml) crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
1 cup chopped pecans
3 cups of thawed Cool Whip.

Combine the first 4 ingredients and then stire in the Cool Whip.  Refrigerate for an hour before serving.

How simple is that!

Desserts.   Well, now that depends.  Summer or Winter.....................winter means hot and hot means Apple Betty.  That's what we called it in my family.  The topping is simple.  Butter, brown sugar and flour........no oatmeal.  We didn't like it that way.  Proportions?  I have no idea.  I just put the ingredients in a bowl and use my pasty blender til it looks right.

Summer?  Oh, that means ice cream cake. 

4 cups of Special K Cereal
3/4 cups melted butter
1 1/2 bups brown sugar
3/4 cup coconut
Mix together.  Spread half the mixture in the bottom of a 9 x 13" pan.  Top with 1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream evenly spread over the base.  Drizzle 1 can Hershey's Butterscotch topping over ice cream.  Finish with the other halt of the Special K mixture.
Wrap very well in foil, then put in deep freezer.  Makes a t least 24 hours ahead of time to allow flavours to blend.

I'm off.  It will be a fun night.  I'm looking forward to it.  Its the wrap up meeting for the year. 







Search This Blog