Just Ducky

Just Ducky
by Cheri Leffler

Until the next quilt

Bella Sophia

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Your favourite tool.............

That was on facebook last week on one of the sites I visit.  Some kind of a contest........I can't find the darn thing now.  I wish facebook would leave things alone.  They re-did something and now all the ones I love to follow I can't find.  Pain in the neck.

I posted that my "iron" was my favourite tool and it is one of them.  I like my rotary cutter and my boards but over the week-end my rotating cutting board was my favourite.

I am making a quilt out of left-over fabric from Christmas.  I re-thought my panel way back in December and now have all this fabric left over.  I had a quilt designed and thought it looked good.....................

sooooooooooooooooooooo I made all the blocks and put it on the flannel board.  I didn't like it.  I re-did it and now its -- ummmmmmmmm -- okay.


These aren't my fabrics.  I picked them from EQ7.  Mine are more yellow.

Well, not only did I not like my first plan, I messed up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
My 9 patch blocks ~~ each square cut 2 1/2" to make an unfinished block of 6 1/2".......................then..................................I cut my solids 6".  Where was my brain?  On holiday.

I had to trim down my nine patch blocks to 6".  I took out my rotating cutting mat.  There are times this is the best thing I ever bought and then there are times I don't even think about so I can't consider it my favourite tool.  It is a convenient tool for me.

For those that haven't seen one, this is a rotating cutting mat


I centred my 6" ruler on top and then proceeded to trim.....

You will have to hold your ruler very securely for this

I trimmed UP one side and across the top....................always  move the cutter away from you.......

then I rotated the board.  I ended up with this.  A perfect 6" x 6" block
The board is only 12" x 12" and if I had waited 2 more years I would have been able to buy a bigger one.  I'm not going to buy the larger size.  I don't use it often enough. 

One tip for you.............................the cutting board sits on top of the rotating board......

I wiped it off before I took the picture.

make sure you keep the two surfaces clean.  Every once in awhile, give them a good wipe down.  They will turn better for you.

Now when I need to purchase a notion I always check out Michaels first.  I don't know about the girls in the U.S.A., but up here we get 40% off coupons from this store on a weekly basis.  Patti told me a long time ago, if you signed up for their newsletter (scroll down the page on the link from above), you can get your coupons right into your inbox.  I did and I do.  I buy my rotary cutting blades at the store all the time.  I pick up my pillow forms and sometimes batting.  I also buy my embroidery floss there although I don't use my coupon for that.  Well, you can't be that cheap, can you?

What's you favourite tool?  No, this isn't a contest, cause I have no prizes for one.  Its just a curiosity thing.

P.S.  I went back to facebook and I found the contest.  It was Benartex....no I didn't win.

And here is one more Henrietta Whiskers.  This one was done by Susan, who lives in Melbourne, Australia.

by Maya Angelou

"Sometimes a small thing you do can mean everything in another person's life. When you learn, teach. When you get, give."

Search This Blog

Print Friendly

Print Friendly and PDF