Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Colour

Last Friday afternoon, I sat down with Karl at 2:00 p.m. to watch my favourite show....................Steven and Chris.  They are the Martha Stewart's of Canadian television, but so much better.  I get to laugh and they feed me knowledge for quilting that they aren't even aware of. 

A viewer had written in posing a question about picking colours from nature....................here is the link so you can read it yourself.

Okay, I'll wait while you go over and read it...........................


Now it isn't possible to take an eggplant or pomegranate to the quilt shop but you can take paint chips with you.  All of the paint companies have them from Behr to CIL to Dutch Boy to Benjamin Moore.  Stores often carry their own brands too.

These are some of the paint chips I have sitting in my room.














The paint companies offer some great tips on their websites.  Behr even gives you a colour wheel on their swatches.  I'm thinking of selecting from a website and then picking up the paint swatch cards and then heading to my favourite fabric shop or better still shopping on line.

I don't always like all the fabrics from a line, but may like one or two.  With my chips in hand I can wander the store until I find exactly what I want.

Before I wrote this column I looked at our birch tree.  Take a look at this...................



all done by Mother Nature.  The whites, the greys, the black, and that little bit of green.  Colour matching done perfectly.

I walked around the yard to find more........................


weigela

euonymus

rock garden plant

Now look at this quilt and think about the birch tree....................

http://www.filminthefridge.com/2009/02/09/a-finished-quilt-and-some-napkins-too/

Mother nature in fabric.  Perfect!

Search This Blog