Just Ducky

Just Ducky
by Cheri Leffler

Until the next quilt

Bella Sophia

Monday, November 15, 2010

Another one off the list!

Last May four of us trekked up to St. Jacobs  



 to shop at a merchants' mall.  We went to a quilt show too, but hit the merchants' mall first.  We have our priorities.



While there I purchased some Amy Butler fabrics.  I have no idea why as her fabric is not really my style.  Now I have to do something with them.  First of all I had a problem with the fat quarters I bought.

In Canada, we sell fabric by the metre, therefore, a fat quarter is suppose to measure 20" x half the width.  These were cut based on a yard........18" x half the width.  I was going to make a casserole cover out of three of them, but I needed a 19 1/2" square.  I now have decided to make placemats.  I scanned the fabrics into the computer so I could do something on EQ.


I like these three
I really like these three!


To get the benefit of the ripple fabric I choose to cut it this way versus this way:  I wanted as much of the colours as I could get.


I made these quilt as you go.  Very easy, very quick.  When I make placemats, coasters, etc., I use a a dense needlepunch batting.  It is polyester and will never shrink.  It keeps its shape washing after washing.  The first manufacturer's product I used was Pellon.  The store I bought it from is no longer in business and I'm running low.  I have to find a new source and soon.  (Guess what?  I found it at Hancocks of Paducah......its the poly fleece on this page.)  I don't use the fusible.  Its just preference on my part.

Cut the batting 12 x 18 and your first strip 6 1/2" x 18.  Fold both in half making a crease mark and line those up at the top and the bottom.
Lay your first two strip, one on each side and pin in place.  I find the flower pins are the best for this job.  Sew them in place with your walking foot.  Press them to the side.
  (These were cut 3 1/2" x 18")
Then I placed the last strips in the same manner as the first two.  They were cut the same size 3 1/2" x 18".
Trim the placemat to 11 1/2" x 17 1/2"
THE BACK:

I do not lay the backing on the top and sew around the edge leaving an opening and then turning.  I use the following method.


I measure the back 1" wider and 1" longer than the front.  I crease (with my iron) down the centre with the fabric right sides together.
I then sew the backing with my 1/4" foot on down the side where the crease is.  I have a "rule of thirds" that I use.  The top third is regular stitch length, the middle third is BASTING stitch length, and the final third is back to regular stitch length.  I re-enforce the stitching at the end and the beginning of the regular stitch lengths.
I then trim away the fold....................very scant trim.

I then lay the back on top of the front, right sides together.  Now I sew around the entire perimeter of the placemat.
I snip the thread at the start and end of the basting, remove it and then turn right side out.  There is a small opening at the back that I hand stitch closed.  I press the placemat very well with steam and then
stitch around the perimeter with matching thread.  I made two placemats and two coasters from three fat quarters and then used up the rest of the fabric for a "centre" placemat.  I had to use a different backing on this one. 
Here they are on the dining-room table.  All they need are dinner plates and glasses and a darn good meal.  A quick easy gift for a friend or for yourself.


by Maya Angelou

"Sometimes a small thing you do can mean everything in another person's life. When you learn, teach. When you get, give."

Search This Blog

Print Friendly

Print Friendly and PDF