Monday, November 15, 2010

Another one off the list!

Last May four of us trekked up to St. Jacobs  



 to shop at a merchants' mall.  We went to a quilt show too, but hit the merchants' mall first.  We have our priorities.



While there I purchased some Amy Butler fabrics.  I have no idea why as her fabric is not really my style.  Now I have to do something with them.  First of all I had a problem with the fat quarters I bought.

In Canada, we sell fabric by the metre, therefore, a fat quarter is suppose to measure 20" x half the width.  These were cut based on a yard........18" x half the width.  I was going to make a casserole cover out of three of them, but I needed a 19 1/2" square.  I now have decided to make placemats.  I scanned the fabrics into the computer so I could do something on EQ.


I like these three
I really like these three!


To get the benefit of the ripple fabric I choose to cut it this way versus this way:  I wanted as much of the colours as I could get.


I made these quilt as you go.  Very easy, very quick.  When I make placemats, coasters, etc., I use a a dense needlepunch batting.  It is polyester and will never shrink.  It keeps its shape washing after washing.  The first manufacturer's product I used was Pellon.  The store I bought it from is no longer in business and I'm running low.  I have to find a new source and soon.  (Guess what?  I found it at Hancocks of Paducah......its the poly fleece on this page.)  I don't use the fusible.  Its just preference on my part.

Cut the batting 12 x 18 and your first strip 6 1/2" x 18.  Fold both in half making a crease mark and line those up at the top and the bottom.
Lay your first two strip, one on each side and pin in place.  I find the flower pins are the best for this job.  Sew them in place with your walking foot.  Press them to the side.
  (These were cut 3 1/2" x 18")
Then I placed the last strips in the same manner as the first two.  They were cut the same size 3 1/2" x 18".
Trim the placemat to 11 1/2" x 17 1/2"
THE BACK:

I do not lay the backing on the top and sew around the edge leaving an opening and then turning.  I use the following method.


I measure the back 1" wider and 1" longer than the front.  I crease (with my iron) down the centre with the fabric right sides together.
I then sew the backing with my 1/4" foot on down the side where the crease is.  I have a "rule of thirds" that I use.  The top third is regular stitch length, the middle third is BASTING stitch length, and the final third is back to regular stitch length.  I re-enforce the stitching at the end and the beginning of the regular stitch lengths.
I then trim away the fold....................very scant trim.

I then lay the back on top of the front, right sides together.  Now I sew around the entire perimeter of the placemat.
I snip the thread at the start and end of the basting, remove it and then turn right side out.  There is a small opening at the back that I hand stitch closed.  I press the placemat very well with steam and then
stitch around the perimeter with matching thread.  I made two placemats and two coasters from three fat quarters and then used up the rest of the fabric for a "centre" placemat.  I had to use a different backing on this one. 
Here they are on the dining-room table.  All they need are dinner plates and glasses and a darn good meal.  A quick easy gift for a friend or for yourself.


Search This Blog