Thursday, October 21, 2010

Our favourite cookie

This cookie is a family favourite.  My mother made them when we lived in Lachine, Quebec when I was a mere child..............and that goes back a long, long way!


These are them! 
They are oatmeal cookies, sure to harden the arteries, sure to help with your sugar level, but for a treat about once a year, I say they are worth it!

Here's the recipe.  I made two batches, one with raisins (about 2/3 cup) and the plain ones.

OATMEAL COOKIES

1/2 cup shortening (Crisco)
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
                            1/2 teaspoon salt                       
 few drops vanilla
1 cup oats (not the quick cook variety)

Cream shortening, add both sugars and the egg.  Beat together.
Mix in the dry ingredients and add the vanilla.
Stir in the oats
Bake at 350* for 10-15 minutes on greased cookie sheets.

Delicious! 
 Bet you can't eat just one



When my last tray of cookies were in the oven I grabbed my bag of mini pretzels
 the Rolos out of the refrigerator (I keep them here so I don't eat them)
 and my pecan halves.

I lined a small cookie sheet with aluminum foil, placed down 16 pretzels, put a Rolo right the centre of each one.  I put that in a 350* oven for about 3 minutes and then took them out.  Right away I put a pecan half on top of each one pushing down the Rolo to flatten it.
They are so good, so fast, and yes they are nearly gone.
My friend, Barb, gave me this recipe.  She calls the turtles, I call them terrific.




Search This Blog