Thursday, September 2, 2010

It's Thursday

Two years ago Karl and I hopped aboard a Westjet flight to St. John's, Newfoundland.  I took dibs on the window seat and shot some photos of Toronto as we flew over.  Thanks to the pilots and crew it was a great flight.

We had never been to the island, but it was time.  Our friends Reg and Jan had recently moved to just outside of St. John's and were once again going to put us up.  (We had been to their ranch in Saskatchewan a time or two when they lived out west.)
The one thing I wanted as a souvenir was a fisherman knit sweater.  I knew the women of the island knitted them and they were sold in the stores.  We walked up one side of Water Street and down the other.

Quite a few stores had the sweaters, but they were imported from Ireland.  That wasn't what I wanted.  Then we found Nonia.  What a shop that was!  The most incredible knitting I have ever seen.  Sweaters, hats, mittens, in every size.








This is my sweater.  I love it.  Its my one spring and fall piece of clothing I cannot do without.  I can pop a sweater underneath for added warmth if need be.

I told Karl that I needed something to do in the truck while we drove down to PEI.  I thought I might make some socks but then counted how many pairs I have and decided I really don't need anymore of those for awhile.
I gave it another 5 second think and decided to knit a baby sweater...............this one............


Karl likes the one with the shawl collar so that's the one I'm doing.  I've made it before for a grandchild years ago.  I love something with pattern as knit one row, purl one row gets rather boring after 6 inches.
We went up to Michaels and I got my yarn.  Patons Astra.........I love this.  It is machine washable and dryable, perfect for children.
I also bought a new pair of needles, bamboo ones as they are suppose to be good for people with arthritis.  I don't have that in my hands or fingers, but I do tend to get tendonitis in one elbow if I work it too much.  I hope I'm over that.
My bag is packed with everything I will need.
Needles, more than one pair, cable hooks, yarn, pins, you name it, its in the bag. 
I also went downstairs and found a peanut butter jar.  I had Karl drill a hole in the lid

and I can work away with the yarn nice and tidy inside and no fear of it getting dirty.  I should have most of the back done after two days of travel.  We are  up early and our first night's destination is Levi, Quebec.  Day two is where we are staying, somewhere on the island.  I'm not going to tell you where, because its a beautiful spot and I want it available for me -- greedy sod that I am. 

Til tomorrow............................


Search This Blog