Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Tuesday's triumphs

Well actually this happened on Sunday while I was making the burp pads.

I laid the batting down, then the front (blue fabric) right side up and then the backing (yellow) wrong  side up.  I sewed around leaving a small opening in one side.

When I was finished I pinned back the yellow to hold it in place...................
then I stitched the blue fabric to the batting.  Try to keep as close to the edge as you can. 


This is what it looks like when its done.  I then trimmed away the batting, sewed a zig-zag around the burp pad and then turned right side out.
When that was done I hand stitched the opening closed.

Now the Press 'n Seal.


I cut a piece of Press'n Seal larger than the design.
I used a Micron permanent pen to trace it and left it for a few minutes to dry.  There is an adhesive side to the Press'n Seal and it sticks beautifully to the pattern.  Once I was satisfied it was dry enough I lifted it off and then placed it on the burp pad.
Look at this.....................

it stays where you put it.  Just "press" it down with your FINGERS!
Then you free motion stitch on the lines

and then pull the Press'n Seal away.  It tears beautifully.  It doesn't pull the stitches which has been a bone of contention for me with several other products on the market today.  If you have troubles getting it off in small places, use your tweezers to lift it off.  I keep a pointed pair in my sewing kit, just for little things like this.
I will definitely be using this again and again.  It was recommened to use the freezer weight, but I just bought the regular in the grocery store and it worked fine.
One little suggestion......................keep the excess on your fabric.  It sticks to the bed of you sewing machine nicely too.

The design I used is from a book by Mary Covey.  I have two of her books and I see I'm kind of lagging behind.  There are two other books published now.  They are published by Martingale.
You can find them at Chapters, and Barnes and Noble.
I personally have used the patterns a lot.  I'm not the best artist in the world and these books are a valuable addition to a free motion quilter's library.

Search This Blog