Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Sheesh............some days

I had my blog all written up for today.  I was so proud of myself.  I thought I had my Fat Cat row by row quilt done!  Wrong!!!  I posted the photos and noticed something different between Irene's and mine. 

Idjit, that I am.  I hadn't put the border on.  So now you wait for that while I do it.  Tomorrow it will be on.

I had some troubles with the fabric for my gingerbread men.  The two fabrics I had selected were either going to make my cookies under-cooked or burned!  I love gingerbread as do our daughter and her children........our son can consume a few at one sitting also.  Oh, I should share my recipe.  I will.  At the end of this posting.  I drove down to my LQS and asked Karen what she had that looked like perfectly baked cookies.  She found this one and its working.


The fabric is from Blank Quilting and is called Fusion Illusion, chocolate.  The pattern # is 4368.  Thank Heavens I kept the selvedge that had the information on it.
I made my gingerbread men slightly different.  I didn't put the white on top, I put it down first.  I traced and cut the gingerbread man out and also some white pieces that were large enough to fill in the void I had created.



This is what I mean.  See those white spots, I placed them first and then started to fill in with the brown.

Once I was done, they looked pretty good.  Why did I do it this way?  I didn't want to have to sew around the white.  Simple as that.













When they were all put together they looked like this.  Before we left for holidays I did manage to get all the men made and even had placed one on the background fabric.  On Sunday, I just had to fuse the rest of them to the turquoisey/blue fabric, sew around the edges with my applique stitch and then put my borders on.  It was really quick.  Did the stitching in the morning, the borders in the afternoon.

They look darn good, even if I do say so myself.








Okay now the recipe.  Its from a Company's Coming book, I've had for years.  Its one of the few recipes I use from the book.  I should share our Christmas Punch recipe with you too.  Tomorrow for that one also.  My grands love it.

Gingerbread Cookies

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup fancy molasses
1 large egg YOLK
2 cups white flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/3 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt

Cream butter, sugar, molasses and egg yolk together until light.
Sift together and add next 8 ingrdients.  Mix well.  Wrap in plastic and chill at least 1 hour.  Using one half the mix at a time, roll out on a floured surface.  Cut into shapes with cookie cutters.  Arrange on greased baking sheet, or a sheet lined with parchment paper.  Bake at 350* oven for 10-15 minutes.  Cool.

Frosting:  Beat 1 egg white with beaters in medium bowl.  Add in as much icing sugar (2 cups) until icing will hold its shape.  Ice cookies or pipe icing.  Store in a container and keep out of reach of children so you can have some.

Til tomorrow...................

Search This Blog