Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Flakey Friends

The top was put together in preparation for stitching day........................

Then I got this done on the Wednesday while the girls were here......................

Then the whole thing had to be machine appliqued which took me 2 1/2 days to complete.  When I applique wallhangings I sandwich just the top to the batting.  I don't put the backing on.  I start with one colour thread, in this case it was the white and do everything that is white, then move on to another colour.
When I was taught machine applique, Elsa told us to pull the threads to the back and tie them off, not to backstitch.



I did everything with the machine.......................not all with the applique stitch.  Some are straight stitch and there is another stitch on my machine that I used.  It goes forward, then back, then forward again...........then it starts the next one.  I have no idea what it is called but it makes things really stand out.  

When you turn over to the batting


you can see all the ends of the thread.  That will all be hidden when you put your backing on.  I never thought of passing this on.  I just do it automatically. 

I popped down to our local quilt store today and the girls thought that this was a great idea.  Now you know too.

I hope to get the machine quilting done this week.  I'm going to stipple in the blocks and then the borders are going to be snowflakes and snowballs....................well, you need them both to make snowmen so I figured that would be the thing to do.  I haven't decided on the sashings yet, but I have a few days to make up my mind.

This pattern is available from Angie's Bits and Pieces but you have to be a member.  Karl wanted to know if it was ours.  It is.  Don't know where I will hang it, but its a keeper.


Til tomorrow......................

Search This Blog