Friday, July 16, 2010

Company's coming

We are having company for supper on Saturday night.  Its time for our daughter to see something different than her four walls.  Its also time to give her family (husband and daughter) a break from the cooking.  So hail, hail, the gang will all be here.

We are making her favourites.  Its just cold food cause it is so dang hot in our neck of the woods.  Black forest ham on a bun, toss salad and macaroni salad.  We are going to our favourite bakery for the buns and getting the meat sliced thinly at the deli counter.

The toss salad will have red leaf lettuce, romaine and iceberg along with chopped red peppers and anything else that is in the crisper.  Fresh cucumbers from the garden will definitely be on the table.

The macaroni salad is from Company's Coming -- the cookbook series that has been around for years.   It will look a bit like this when I have it all made up on Saturday.

We know the kids won't eat it, but that's okay it will mean all the more for us.

I use elbow macaroni.............the amount varies depending on the number of people I'm serving.  I generally cook up about 1 cup in salted water.  I use sea salt.
When they are cooked and cooled (I run them under cold water and give them a good shake or two in the colander) I add the following.............
2 tbsp. finely chopped green pepper
2 tbsp. sweet pickle relish
1/2 cup chopped cleery
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, cubed
1/4 cup chopped radish
1/4 tsp onion powder
3/4 cup mayonnaise 
(actually we use Miracle Whip Salad Dressing)
1/4 tsp pepper

I mix all these ingredients together in a serving bowl except for the Miracle Whip.  I put that in just before I serve it.

For dessert, an all time favourite................Sara Lee Strawberry Cheesecake



There will be ice cream for those that don't like the cheesecake.............who that might be, I do not know.  Better get off to the grocery store this morning and get all the ingredients in. 


Til tomorrow..........................

Search This Blog