Thursday, June 10, 2010

Travelling........Part 2

Now this is how I do it when I'm on the road again...............no Willie Nelson's song is not my favourite, thank you very much.

I went to Michaels and bought myself several of those scapbook containers.  They come in different colours, but I chose the clear ones.  I can see what is inside and the fabric colours are not distorted by the coloured plastic.  I hve them delegated for different tasks...............Anne project, row by row project, postcards, travel, etc.
Inside the travel container is a thread catcher, a cutting mat, a ruler.............ah, heck, wait, I'll take a picture and put it up for you...........................

Just about everything you need in one spot.  The one thing that does come along is my telescopic magnetic tool.  You can buy them at Canadian Tire, but they are expensive here.  Boy, this one must pick up pins and needles in the trailer down the road. 
I bought mine at Lee Valley..........several of them in fact. At this store they are called telescoping pocket magnets and they are only $6.95.  I carry it in a toothbrush holder............that blue one.

I noticed I'm out of index cards in my box so I must load up on them.  I have scissors and glue stick so if I am shopping in different stores for a pattern, I can clip a fabric swatch, glue to the index cards and carry them with me.








I know it sounds like a lot of work, but it sure lightens the load.  If you have purchased 3 yards/metres of fabric and a bunch of smaller cuts, its a lot to carry around in a tote bag while shopping for more.

All I have to do now is take out my small Ott Lite.  TIP:  If you don't have one, you could take along a 100 watt bulb and replace the one in the hotel/motel room if you are planning on doing any handwork.  I don't know about you, but the hotels I've stayed in are not condusive to sewing.  Watching tv maybe, but not sewing.  You do have to remember that light bulb when you leave though.

Good luck on your travels this summer wherever you may roam.  We hope to be off quite often.  Last year was the pits and we have lots to make up for.  A few day trips thrown in here and there and of course, we have to do the annual trek over to Niagara Falls...........................no quilt shops though.  This day is pure pleasure...............Maid of the Mist, TableRock, the greenhouses.............and a good picnic lunch.  July isn't coming fast enough.

I nearly forgot to tell you.  Charleen, Barb and I are off to Hagersville in the morning.  We are going to the quilt show there.  It is called Our Canada.  I don't think any of us have been before, so we are getting into the beast (Ford may not appreciate that name!) and driving over.  It shouldn't take long...............Queen E, to Red Hill Valley parkway, then 6 to the Town.  Well, I think its 6, maybe its 20.  I better get the map out again, hadn't I?

I'm leaving something different for you tomorrow.  You'll enjoy.

Search This Blog