Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Postcards are done!

A lot of determination and I finished the postcards for the swap.  I had decided on a slice of watermelon, so googled watermelon images..................what choices!  I finally picked this one, but it still wasn't what I wanted.

Then I received an email from Angie's Bits and Pieces.  I signed up for membership awhile ago and get regular updates.  (This gal is so productive I don't know how she does it.)  A brand new posting of Fifty Picnic foods.  She must have known how badly I needed a really good slice of watermelon. I believe, but could be wrong, that you can download/print off the watermelon wallhanging.  The other 49 are for members. I just checked it out and I'm definitely going to download some and make a summer wallhanging for my kitchen.

Anyway, I printed off the watermelon slice -- not this whole wallhanging -- I just wanted you to see this -- onto a sheet of paper.  I resized it using my printer settings so that it would come out to fit a 4 x 6 index card.  I used the fabric I found at our local quilt shop and dug around for a white. 
I fused interfacing to the back of the white so the redish of the watermelon wouldn't show through.  I made one postcard to see if I liked it, showed it to Karl and he asked what it was.  I figured his knowledge was lacking so just tucked it in my purse.
I went to Michaels to see if they had some beads in the shape of a teardrop and couldn't find a thing.  I didn't want to have to cut out all those black seeds.  After Michaels we stopped in at Barb's and she recognized it right away, so  decided I would go with this one and not look any further.  I was having doubts.

Our grandson came to cut the lawn so while he worked on that I worked on the four postcards I had to get made up.  I fused all the backings on the stabilizer and then the red fabric.  I sewed it down.  Then the white and sewed all of them in place.  Then the green................now it was time for the backings.  I ran them all off and fused them in place.  I finished up at 10:00 p.m. by stitching around the perimeters of each card.

In the morning I cut out 3 seeds for each slice.  Just three!  I don't like tiny and fiddly so this will have to do.  Here they are. 

I keep one for myself, so I can remember what I've done if this theme, which is "Sizzzzzzzzzzling Summer", rolls around again.  I have a photograph album I put them all in. 
These are the backs.  I put a little saying on from Mark Twain and gave recognition to Angie for her pattern. 

I hope the girls like them.

Search This Blog