Monday, June 28, 2010

Canada Week

Seeing as July 1st is just down the week, I thought we would mention a few Canadian pattern designers on the blog for the next few days.

First up is

Lydia Quigley
of
based here in Ontario

I made a beautiful quilt designed by Lydia and it is on our bed every summer.  It is entirely appliqued by hand, with I swear one million leaves on it!  Okay, okay, I exaggerate, but it felt like it at the time.  I have never before and never again made an applique quilt.  This is my treasure.  It is called Wildflowers .............

I showed it to my Mother the day I picked it up from Kathy and she really, really wanted it.  She didn't get it, but she did get a miniaturized version of it.  I used fabrics that were left over from the double bed sized one and how I had that many left I do not know.  It wasn't like this quilt was newly made.  It had been around for awhile.  Here is my Mom's. 


Lydia has been a guest speaker at our Guild on a few occasions.  The first time she came, we were a brand new guild.  She brought along some of her patterns and I bought one.  I made these for all our grands.


The last time I recall Lydia being there she gave us fantastic ideas of
where to look for quilting ideas.  They are right there, in front of you,
all you have to do is look around.  Perhaps its at the local museum............


or at the roofline of an old house


or maybe its the arbour leading into someone's garden


Designs are everywhere.  We just have to take the time to look around.
There is a blog that you can take a look at.  Check out the right hand side of the page.  See all those patterns and they are free!




Search This Blog