Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Row 5 tips and tricks

I have part of row 5 done.  I started after lunch yesterday and finished the last little bit right after supper so I could post.

TIP 1:  When you are fusing a light fabric to a dark fabric.............i.e.; face to body.............fuse some interfacing to the back of the lighter fabric.  The dark fabric will not show through when you do this.


I laid the feet of the gnomes down first on my teflon sheet.  Then the body.  The feet are placed 3/4" in from the side tip at the bottom of the body.

The head is an easy placement and you will be able to see that once you start. If you need a little help, measure up from the bottom of the body.....2 7/8".  I did all the bodies at one time and then fused them to the background.
TIP 2:  Cut your background 10 1/2" x 24 1/2".  You will need two.
Measure in from each side 1 1/2".  You can place one ruler here.  Then from the top, measure down 1 3/8" and if you wish lay another ruler here, as I did.  In between each gnome measures 1 1/8". 

TIP 3: I do all my placments at my ironing board. That way when I'm happy with it I can press right away and don't have to worry about anything shifting.

As I have done before once I had one section done, I laid it on my light table and then made all the placements for the second one.
I took this part to the sewing machine and starting with the shoes/feet, I started my applique stitch.  I then did the body and then the faces.  I did only one section.  I used a brown YLI soft touch bobbin thread for both the black and the red.  I switched to a white bobbin thread for the trims and the beard.

DONE! 
I'm using buttons for the eyes.  I don't fancy stitching around the black fabric and I thought they were just a bit big and I know I will mess up if I try to cut them smaller.

Search This Blog