Pages

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Jungle babies

I started a blog about this quilt awhile ago.
http://quilton.blogspot.com/search/label/Haiti
Sunday afternoon I was able to put some time into at least getting a start on it.  I thought I would wash and iron all the fabric.  It only takes about 10 minutes tops to do it and while the fabric was drying, I washed up the breakfast dishes.
Once the fabric was ironed I put it up on the design wall to see if I liked it put together.  Hmmmmmmmmmmm, not so much!
This was my original thought on the background for the animal blocks.  It just doesn't work for me.

Then I tried this one.  Not working either. 
Then I noticed the soft yellow of the lion and it seemed to "pop" off the fabric and say try me, try me!

I was off on a search to my "fabric/sewing room"  (I store all my fabric upstairs in a cupboard.)

I was lucky.  I found some in a bag that was earmarked for another project.
Soft yellow with little wee hearts in a darker yellow on it.  Much better with all these other fabrics.......... 

I cut it up into 8 1/2" x 8 1/2" blocks and then cut the two turquoise fabrics that will be in the other four blocks.  I redesigned them from the original pattern.  I'm doing something a little simpler.  I hope I am anyway.




I cut all the fabric and sewed it together.  Oh, my gosh, it was awful!  I didn't like it at all.  The green is, is, is..............no words can describe it! 

Back to the drawing board!  Or flannel wall in my case.


I had to start digging for fabric and I found a purple that I hoped would work.  I took one block apart to see if it worked with the turquoise squares.  I knew I was in for an evening of "reverse stitching" if I liked it.  Better to like than to have a bunch of blocks I couldn't stand to look at.
Oh my gosh, this is so much better.  The purple makes such a difference.  Its amazing.  The green really worked in the store, or at least I thought so.
I pinned the rows together and started to put it together.

All those "pinked" edges I'll be writing about in a day or two.


I've worked away on the top for a couple of days and its done.  I really, really like it.  The animals all have to be put on, but that will take a couple of days to get them done.  There is a lion, a zebra, a rhino, an elephant, and a giraffe.  Four monkeys too...............one in each corner. 
This is for the walls of Grace Children's Hospital in Haiti.  I hope it brings joy to the children.

Oh, that green that I didn't like in this quilt?  It found a new home.  Susan suggested I use it for a border, but I've decided to use it for a binding on this quilt.  It works beautifully here.  The colours that are in this piece are in the quilt.  I'm rather happy it works, because I can't get anymore of those fabrics from Connecting Threads.

Search This Blog

Humboldt Broncos

Humboldt Broncos
This blog is dedicated to the young people that lost their lives from the Humboldt Hockey Team. It is also dedicated to the first responders, the doctors and nurses and to the families and the people of Saskatchewan

by Maya Angelou

"Sometimes a small thing you do can mean everything in another person's life. When you learn, teach. When you get, give."

Print Friendly

Print Friendly and PDF