Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Jungle babies

I started a blog about this quilt awhile ago.
http://quilton.blogspot.com/search/label/Haiti
Sunday afternoon I was able to put some time into at least getting a start on it.  I thought I would wash and iron all the fabric.  It only takes about 10 minutes tops to do it and while the fabric was drying, I washed up the breakfast dishes.
Once the fabric was ironed I put it up on the design wall to see if I liked it put together.  Hmmmmmmmmmmm, not so much!
This was my original thought on the background for the animal blocks.  It just doesn't work for me.

Then I tried this one.  Not working either. 
Then I noticed the soft yellow of the lion and it seemed to "pop" off the fabric and say try me, try me!

I was off on a search to my "fabric/sewing room"  (I store all my fabric upstairs in a cupboard.)

I was lucky.  I found some in a bag that was earmarked for another project.
Soft yellow with little wee hearts in a darker yellow on it.  Much better with all these other fabrics.......... 

I cut it up into 8 1/2" x 8 1/2" blocks and then cut the two turquoise fabrics that will be in the other four blocks.  I redesigned them from the original pattern.  I'm doing something a little simpler.  I hope I am anyway.




I cut all the fabric and sewed it together.  Oh, my gosh, it was awful!  I didn't like it at all.  The green is, is, is..............no words can describe it! 

Back to the drawing board!  Or flannel wall in my case.


I had to start digging for fabric and I found a purple that I hoped would work.  I took one block apart to see if it worked with the turquoise squares.  I knew I was in for an evening of "reverse stitching" if I liked it.  Better to like than to have a bunch of blocks I couldn't stand to look at.
Oh my gosh, this is so much better.  The purple makes such a difference.  Its amazing.  The green really worked in the store, or at least I thought so.
I pinned the rows together and started to put it together.

All those "pinked" edges I'll be writing about in a day or two.


I've worked away on the top for a couple of days and its done.  I really, really like it.  The animals all have to be put on, but that will take a couple of days to get them done.  There is a lion, a zebra, a rhino, an elephant, and a giraffe.  Four monkeys too...............one in each corner. 
This is for the walls of Grace Children's Hospital in Haiti.  I hope it brings joy to the children.

Oh, that green that I didn't like in this quilt?  It found a new home.  Susan suggested I use it for a border, but I've decided to use it for a binding on this quilt.  It works beautifully here.  The colours that are in this piece are in the quilt.  I'm rather happy it works, because I can't get anymore of those fabrics from Connecting Threads.

Search This Blog