Thursday, May 13, 2010

I think I'm a convert

I decided to try something over the past few days.  The last wallhanging I made I had a lot of trimming to do.  Little threads that had frayed from the blocks I had sewn.  It was rather a pain to cut them all off.  I told you I was lazy.

I had purchased a jelly roll quite awhile ago and it was all cut using accucut I would presume.  It gives it a "pinked" edge.  I have a pinking wheel for my rotary cutter and thought "why not.  its worth a try".  I put it on the cutter
and started to cut the blocks for jungle babies.  I sewed them together and it was okay.  They came out to the right size.  I sewed the rows together and they came out the right size.  Well, I may as well keep going.
Look how neat and tidy the back of the quilt is. 
The inner border I cut 1 1/2" by the length.  I really like working with pinked edges.  Saves me a lot of work at the end of the project.

If you are a bit leary of trying it,  I do have a tip for you. I pre-wash all my fabric.  Here is what you can do with yours..................................
TIP:  Before you pre-wash, trim the ends of the fabric with your pinking blade in your rotary cutter.  You will find that it doesn't fray as much. 

I don't actually pre-wash! I soak the fabric in a basin marked "For Fabric Only", give it a spin in the washer and toss in the dryer. Sometimes I throw a big towel in with it. That helps to toss the fabric and it seems to dry better. I did these fabrics on Tuesday so I'm ready to go with them. They didn't turn out too badly.


I received this link from my friend Maureen. Thanks, Maureen.  I enjoyed the show!
 I thought you all might like to visit a show recently held in Paris............France, that is.


Search This Blog