Thursday, April 1, 2010

It's April 1st!

"The first of April, some do say,

Is set apart for All Fools' Day.

But why the people call it so,

Nor I, nor they themselves do know.

But on this day are people sent

On purpose for pure merriment."

~Poor Robin's Almanac (1790)~
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO OUR SON-IN-LAW.  HE'S 4?
 

No, I'm not going to pull any pranks on you this morning.  I am going back a couple of weeks though and reviewing a book I was going to do for "Irish" week. 




The book is called tour Ireland and is written by Pat Sloan.  I really like this book.  It is one of those books that make you turn the pages and read more and more and more.  The photography in the book is amazing and makes you want to phone your travel agent and book your trip to Ireland. 








My father-in-law in Denmark had sheep on his farm and they are one of my favourite animals.  For some inexplicable reason they remind me of spring.  The photos of them in the book remind me of his farm.   
The green of the hills, the sheep, the horses, everything!  I fully intend to make this little piece before I have to return this book to our Guild library.
One of the highlights of Pat's trip to Ireland was their stop at Kells Sheep Centre.  I'm not going to tell you everything she wrote, I'll let you discover for yourself.








One of the stops on the trip was in Dublin at St. Patrick's Cathedral.  Look at this photo.......now take another look at the bottom right hand corner.......does that floor in the cathedral not want you to take a pencil to paper and design a quilt?  It does me.  Maybe someday.











One of the quilts featured in the book is Lady of the Lake. All done in shades of blue with the prettiest border.  It is beautiful!  













Take your pick.  Make a table runner or a wallhanging.  Luck of the Irish.  Either or both.  Your choice.  There is amazing information about Ireland between the pages of this book and beautiful, beautiful quilts.  Pat's Irish Chain is made in the colours I think this style of quilt should be made in.  Another idea for a wallhanging is called the Streets of Dublin, but you could adapt it to be the streets of your town.  If you get the opportunity to pick up this book, do so.  You won't be disappointed, especially if you are a little bit Irish.
Pat also has her own blog. The one posted on March 31st, proves we are all human and all make mistakes.   None of us are perfect with our quilting.  I was glad to read what Pat did.......no, click on blog, and read it yourself.  It is funny.

Before I stop for the day, don't forget to go over to Fat Cat and get today's posting.  It should be the mitts if I'm not mistaken.  I hope to get mine traced and fused over the week-end.  Here are my friend Irene's penquins.....I can't recall their names but they all started with the letter "S".









Search This Blog