Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Easy making!

The little quilts for Haiti are fast and easy. I did most of them using the strip piecing method.  To do that you just pin sections together and start to sew.  You never stop in between, cut the thread, restart with another section. Just keep sewing!















Once you have the entire quilt top put together, take it to the ironing board and press all the seams in the same direction.  Don't stop to press in between.  It takes extra time.







When I had the top put together and the seams pressed I took it to the cutting mat and measured it both ways.  Because I suffer from "OMG, I can't remember!"  I wrote down the numbers on my little black board.  Then I cut the backing.  I found this was actually a better way to do it than pre-cutting the backing.  
I had a yard of fabric, or at least I thought I did, but when I straightened it up, I discovered I was short
1 1/2" on both ends.  I trimmed the front to make them fit.

 On a few of the "over" quilts I made I decided to round off the corners.  I took a coaster and marked the top with my favourite marking pen.  When I sewed the curve, I let the edge of the sewing foot follow the line.

 
Don't forget to leave an opening for turning.  When you have it turned right side out, the first thing I did was sew around the entire perimeter of the quilt.  Then I sewed in both directions.  I used my walking foot so that all layers would feed through at the same time.

This is it.  The finished quilt. 

Rounded corners and guess, just guess who donated the fabric for the centre of the quilt.
These quilts are very fast and easy to do.  Perfect for hot weather.

Search This Blog