Thursday, February 4, 2010

Anne of the Island

Actually its Anne of Green Gables for most of us.  Anne books are available here or check out this website.  I bought my first Anne book when we first visited the Island.  It was at the East Point Lighthouse and I thought it was the best souvenir to buy.  I read it from front to back and then gave it to my granddaughters so they can read it when they get older. 

This visit I thought I would check out quilting as that is what I bring home now.............fabric from every place I go.  I'm getting quite a collection.   This was special though.  I found a website and wow was I happy. 

When the girls go somewhere we try to bring back something "quilting" for each other.  I asked before I went if I bought the patterns would they do them with me.  They chose which one they wanted to do.....there are only three at the moment.....and we were all happy.  I went to the store with my friend Jan and I got all three fabrics, then I bought sky, water, sand, Anne's hair, emerald green cause hey you never know where you can use that.  We had a bar-be-que and I gave the girls their patterns.  They were quite happy. We divied up the fabric so that all of us would have the same sand, sky, and Anne's hair!

This pattern has been drawn up over 8 sheets of paper.  It wasn't reversed.  This was a placement guide as well as the tracing pattern. 
Everything has to be reversed for tracing. 
We joined the pieces together using removable tape and then I had the girls trace the back side of the paper onto white freezer paper using a Sharpie black marker............medium is good.   We then ironed the freezer paper to muslin.  The muslin was going to be our base.
I can't rationalize using fabric for the base (in this case it would be the sky fabric) that costs about $18.00 a metre.  Muslin is less expensive and does the job very well. 



We cut the sky fabric slightly longer than was necessary and adhered it to the muslin with two strips of fusible web.  One at the top and one at the bottom. Fuse it in place and then put the next section down using the same method.  You continue in this manner until all the background is set in place.  Pattern pieces are usually numbered so that you know where to start.  Number 1 is first to be placed and then you build from there.

This gives you an idea of what I'm talking about.  You build other pieces into the background, like the dunes in the background and the shrubs, as you go along.
Once we had all the background put together we set this piece aside and started to work on the other pieces.  When you are applying a light fabric to a darker fabric......such as Anne's face.....

Press the chosen fabric to fusible interfacing and then put the fusible web on.  The interfacing will stop the background fabric from showing through.    You will notice that Anne's pigtails do not have the ribbons on yet.  It is better to put them on after the quilting has been done.

I quite honestly know very little about farm animals.  However, I married a guy who grew up on a farm.  We needed to know what the inside of a pony's ear looked like.  I thought pink!  Well, I told you I didn't know much.  He said no, about the colour the ear itself.  To make it distinquishable from the fabric chosen for the horse, we turned the fabric over.  Remember there are two sides to every piece of fabric.  I did the same for the stockings Anne is wearing in the wallhanging where she is feeding the calf. 
Try to find fabrics for animals that have a bit of character to them.  This is a fossil fern fabric from Benartex.  You can find them here .  (Thanks, Irene)    Sometimes you have to use your imagination when quilting.  Now you may not think this little gal looks too good, but take a look at the whole picture.........
This is Barb's wallhanging.  All that is left to do is sew on the borders.  Barb will use the same inner border that I used, but has decided to use the same fabric for the outer border as the pony's mane and tail.  It will really frame the wall hanging beautifully.
We have booked an appointment with Kathy, my LA quilter, on March 4th.  All three quilts will go at the same time.

After posting the other day about the secure top sheet protectors, Patti emailed me with a tip.  I'm posting it here exactly as Patti wrote it.  Its a good one......... TIP:                                                                       I scan the picture of my patterns, put those in a binder in order,like ,Christmas, jackets , Easter and store the original pattern in a file cabinet, numerically. Most patterns do have a number, the ones I am downloading don't, so I will just keep them to the front of the binder and cabinet. Downloaded patterns are put in a large envelope with a picture of the pattern stuck on the front and a description. I haven't tried folding the envelopes and printing on them yet. This way I can tell quickly if I have a pattern...and if I lend my pattern, I put the borrowers name and date when she borrowed in my binder with the pattern pic.

Do you have a tip you would like to share?  Send it to me and I'll post it.  Sorry, no prizes.

Search This Blog