Monday, January 18, 2010

Mention in on Monday


You are probably sitting there shaking your head, wondering why on earth I posted this picture.  The machine quilting isn't good enough to brag about so what is it?
I picked up a quilt from my LA last week (who shall be referred to as Kathy from now on), and thought I should share something with you.  When Kathy has completed the quilt top she runs a basting thread around the entire perimeter of the quilt to hold all the layers together. 
I decided I was going to do the same thing on all the quilts that I machine quilt at home.  As soon as the machine quilting was done I sewed a basting stitch around the entire quilt and then took it to the cutting board and trimmed it and squared it.  I haven't done this in the past and have found on a couple of occasions that when I turned the quilt over I had puckered the backing.  I try to sew the basting as close to the edge as possible so that when I sew the binding done I don't have to remove it.  Once you have the entire quilt basted then you can sew your binding on. 


I will be honest -- there were two spots I had to remove the basting.  I was probably day-dreaming as I was working.  It is rather boring work.

This week is all about machine quilting.  Keep checking.  You will be so bored with this quilt when I'm done, you'll be wanting for something else!

Search This Blog