Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Bindings......

The quilt is done except for the binding.  What to do? 
I have used a variety of methods over the years to bind anything from a small wallhanging to a queen size quilt.  The first example is

the binding matching the border.  I had trouble finding the fabric that I really wanted for the border for this wallhanging.  I found this in a shop in Shelburne, On., called Cobwebs and Caviar. 
(The little shop which is absolutely beautiful is right on the Main Street and so easy to find.)
Back to the binding..........the back of the fabric was perfect for me.  I bought what I thought was plenty as I didn't know when I would get back up there to shop for more.  As it turned out, I had bought just enough to do borders and binding.

This little wallhanging was made for my bathroom during the cold winter months.


I had to consider what to bind with as the border was yellow and so are the walls.  I didn't want the wallhanging to blend in, so I picked up one of the sashing fabrics from the blocks and used that.  I was happy with the result.





I just recently finished this wallhanging.  It took quite awhile to complete.  It is  called Aunt Bea's Parlour and it is available at                                            http://www.black-cat-creations.com/items.php?id=4                                        Once I have finished a quilt, I usually cut my binding, put it in a ziploc bag and keep it with the quilt. This time because of the "scrap look" of this quilt I decided to go with a scrappy binding.  I took strips of the same fabrics that I had used in the quilt and sewed them together.  I didn't worry about the lengths of the strips.  If one was 18" I used it.  The next one may have been 12" or 20".  The binding was very randomly done.  I like the look of these bindings but only on scrap quilts.  I don't put my quilts in any competitions to win prizes.  I quilt for me and my friends and family.  Therefore, I don't have to follow rules and regulations.  I cut all my bindings 2 1/2" wide!  All of them!  I do not like to fiddle and fool trying to get them folded over to the back of the quilt for hand sewing.  If I were ever to enter a competition, I would get a list of their requirements and follow it precisely.
This quilt has four borders.  I found this pattern in an older issue of Quilts and More a few years ago.  I made it in memory of my Dad.  I'm sorry I don't recall the original name of it.  I call it "The Perfect Tree in a not so Perfect Block."  I saw this fabric at the quilt store where I worked and loved it.  I have no idea what the line was called with the exception of the word 'cinnamon'.  I decided to buy what I could afford and that would have to do.  Once the quilt top was completed the binding fabric was all I had left!  Sometimes you just have no choice on what you are going to do.
This is just another example of pulling an inner border fabric and using it for the binding.
This little quilt was made years ago as you can tell by the fabric choices.  It hangs in the kitchen during the Christmas holidays.  I ran out of fabric!  I couldn't use the same fabric as the final border, so I chose a fabric that         co-ordinated.   The green works well with the background and the inner border.  It doesn't clash with anything....another thing you have to consider when doing your binding.  For example, a bright blue just wouldn't have worked.


Search This Blog