Tuesday, April 10, 2018

It hurts

 On a Friday afternoon 28 members of the Humboldt Hockey Team got on a bus to play a junior game.  They were headed to Nipawin, Saskatchewan.  Their bus didn't make it.  They were involved in a tragic accident that claimed the lives of 15 people.

Karl and I have spent many a day in Saskatchewan.  It is the most beautiful place on earth.  You will never meet people that are kinder, you will never see skies that are bluer and you will always be able to see for miles and miles.  We left a little piece of hearts there every time we came home.

Different groups I've belonged to have donated quilts to Fort McMurray, Slave Lake, High River and Haiti but this time I decided to challenge my friends to make pillowcases and donate them locally to a children's hospital, the children's ward at their local hospital or to Ronald McDonald House.

I went downstairs and pulled fabric and started to sew.  I found this piece lying on my desk and it was intended for a quilt.  That idea can wait until another time
I leaned down and looked into a box and found this large piece that when cut made three bodies.  I kept going and found fabrics for the cuffs.
In an afternoon of cutting and pressing I had 6 pillowcases made.  I use my serger so I don't have to do French seams which I must admit I am very poor at.

I have one more large piece on my cutting table I'm sure I can get three more from.  I also have more bodies cut that need some cuffs.  A day of searching will probably yield what I need and if it doesn't the fabric shop is only 15 minutes away.

Search This Blog