Thursday, April 12, 2018

Every quilt

tells a story and this one has a little tale all it's own.

I was given this quilt along with some minky to long arm quilt for the charity group.  I took the minky out of the bag and held it up to look at it.  It stretched and stretched and just kept on going.  I put it back.  I phoned my friend, Anne and she said  "don't do it".  "Send it back".

I rebagged the two pieces -- the top and the minky -- there was no batting.  I felt badly because I wasn't doing it.  Pam (team leader of the charity group)called to ask me something and I told her I wouldn't do the minky but would it be okay if I put flannelette on the back.  She said sure.

I made a backing out of some fat quarters I had purchased awhile go.  I pressed the seams open because I knew the seams on the top were going to give me some grief!


While I was stitching it out I noticed that someone had previously sewn this top.  You could see tiny bits of thread and a couple of teensy tiny holes where the needle had penetrated the fabric.  I came up and told Karl and then phoned Anne!  
Apparently Anne had this quilt given to her at a charity day years ago to stitch out on a long arm.  It didn't go well, so she took it off, unstitched it and gave it back.  It never dawned on her when I asked her about the backing fabric and how to handle it.  She asked me to send her a photo -- you know -- just in case, it wasn't the one.  It was.  We had a giggle over this, I can assure you.
It is now done.  All ready for binding.  and yes I feel so much better.




 The pantograph is Popcorn by Willow Leaf  Studio, the batting is Hobbs, and the thread is King Tut.  I have no idea of the fabric as the selvages were all trimmed off.  Odd that!

I have to say that my friend Robin, who moved to PEI a few years ago, suggested this pantograph as perfect for baby quilts.  I thanked her "a million thanks" because it is one of the most versatile pantographs you can have in your arsenal!  It looks like clouds and popcorn.  You can do it lengthwise, or widthwise.  It is just perfect for a baby's quilt.




Search This Blog