Thursday, May 12, 2016

The importance of


keeping records.
I design a lot of my own quilts and decided to start keeping notes instead of relying on my memory.  There is a programme on my computer called "notes" and I can upload a photo and write down what I want.
Sorry the photos are dark.  I opted to be lazy and just take them at the computer.
I have always taken photos of my quilts, but actually keeping notes........didn't happen very often.
When I tried to remember -- it didn't happen.

I do recommend taking photos of every thing you make.  I am never going to be famous or a quilt teacher or an exhibitor, but it is nice to go back and see what you have accomplished over the years.

There was a story circulating on Facebook recently about a woman that had a booth at a show.  She actually gave one of her quilts to two people that said they would love to have her come up to Ontario and speak/teach at their guild.
She has never heard or seen the women since.  She has no idea of their names, she doesn't know which guild or even the town/city they came from.
She also has no photos of the quilt
or
so the story went at the time I wrote this.

You may not be good at photography, but a cheap little camera will do.
I have three cameras at my disposal.  (If two of them had batteries in them, it would be wonderful.)
I use my "good" camera for most of my work and the cheaper ones for travelling, because they are lighter and easier to use.  You point, you shoot.
Failing that, write down as much of a description as you can.  Start with the pattern name, add the fabric line you used, the type of thread you stitched it with when you quilted it.  Everything that you think is relevant to the quilt.             Quilts are valuable, not only monetarily, but sentimentally as well.  You put hours of work into making one and keeping a small record of it is worth your time.



Search This Blog