Thursday, May 5, 2016

How do I do it?

Elaine from my stitch and chat group asked me how I centre my backings.  The quilt I showed yesterday had a bunny and flowers on it and others have had whales, boats, whatever.  I told her that I would show her how it was done, but lately I haven't been to stitch and chat and neither has she.
Here we go........its as easy as eating apple pie with ice cream.
Hopefully your appliqués are centered on the back.  If not make sure they are centered when you fold your backing fabric.
I start with the backing.  
Fold the fabric in half and finger press the fold and then place a large straight pin when you pressed.  I do the width first.
 Then I do the length, exactly the same.  Set it aside for a moment while you do the top

 Do the top the same way.  Fold, finger press, insert large pins.  I use flower head so I can see them.
 When you sandwich your quilt, lay the backing down as you usually would and then place the batting on top.
When it is time to lay the top on, match the pins for the top and backing in the four places you have put them in.  One on each side and one top and bottom.

Sandwich your usual way, either with basting spray or with pinning.

Good luck!


Everyone has heard of the devastating fires
in Fort McMurray, Alberta.
CBC News
The entire town was evacuated and now many, many people are left homeless and with nothing!
Once again it's time for people to help out.
A couple of stores in Alberta will now be taking in quilts to deliver to those in need.
Start your sewing machines ladies.
It's time to give.
If you have a quilt top and a backing
I am willing to do the quilting for you.  
There will be no charge!
I will keep you posted as to when the stores will start to collect and when they can be shipped west.
Remember
and any given time
it could be you



Search This Blog