Friday, June 26, 2015

I have a story to tell

One day recently I was asked by someone "Why do you do it?"  I really try to give as much as we can afford to those less fortunate.
I have never known hunger, I have never been without a roof over my head, I have never not been clothed in good clothing, I have never known war, I have never known strife.  I've had a great life.  I have love, I have two wonderful kids and because of them I got two more.  I've been blessed with 5 of the world's best grandchildren!  Yes, mine are.......your's are all a really close second to mine.
Brandon, Cody, Kyle
Morgan and Taylor
LOL
Karl wasn't as lucky as I was.  He had wonderful parents but they struggled.  Their country was invaded during World War 2 and things become very hard for them.  He once told me a story -- a story that has stuck with me for over 50 years.
Karl's Mor og Far

When he was a small child his Dad became quite ill.  He needed medication but finding the money to pay for it was hard.  His Mom had to count the pennies and make huge decisions on what was important for them.  He remembered the days his Mom stood at the counter and counted out the pennies to pay for the medicine his Dad was prescribed.  That stuck with me.  It stuck hard!
I am not one of those people who like to join organizations to give.  I much prefer to sit at home and work at my own pace.  I'm not committed to be somewhere at some time on some day.  It's up to me when and where I do my work.  I have my goals set for this year.....12 pillowcases, 12 baby quilts and perhaps some lap quilts.  
My summer will be spent sewing and doing this and that.  I get to do what I love and I get to give back.  Speaking of which........
I have been invited by the wonderful people at Sew Etc (Sewing Machines, etc.) to join them for Meals that Heal at Ronald McDonald House in Hamilton on July 13th.  We get to prep the food (I warned them I don't cook) and serve it buffet style!  How lucky am I?  Darn lucky!!
This has been on my bucket list for awhile.  Another check mark!


Now I'm not bragging or anything......just the facts, folks......our granddaughter who studied really, really hard for her finals graduated last night with Honours and Ontario Scholar.  I saw her marks and they just blew me away.  I was told, however, not to look at her math mark.
Back at the house for strawberries and I don't know what else was on the plate, but it was good!

Search This Blog