Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Holy Hannah


Good Grief Charlie Brown. for Pete's Sake.......you name the expression I used it making this quilt.  Simple, simple quilt and I turned it into a full production.
I sewed one block together wrong, which Karl noticed, so I undid 2/3 of one row.
Of course, it was the block in the middle.
I sewed one border on only to discover after stitching one inch, there was no thread in the bobbin.
The "wee" machine does not let me know when you run out.  I started the quilt on this machine, so I wanted to finish it on this machine.
I sewed one border on the wrong way and feeling quite pleased with myself,
I laid it on the bed already to measure for the next border.  That's when I noticed the faux pas!
I think that was three mistakes so I was good to finish up.
Three narrow borders on this quilt.
I was on EQ designing borders for hours and didn't like any of them.  Then the little light came on and I thought -- perhaps hour glass cornerstones.  That thought didn't work, but half square triangles would.
The first border is the one and only red block in the middle of the nine patch.  I wanted to draw the cream fabric out to the edge, so at each "blade" I put in a 2" square of white.
The border has four cornerstones with the red and the cream.
The red must meet with both red sashings

Then I added a cream border with four cornerstones.
I wanted the writing to run all the way around the quilt, so I placed one running across, then down, then across the other way and then on the final border opposite to what I had done on the other length.

The final border is on.  After all I went through due to lack of sleep (that's my reason and I'm sticking to it),  I really am happy with the outcome.
To do a border like this you have to remember that each time you make a cornerstone you have to use the fabric that you are using in that border plus the fabric from the next border.  You also have to remember to place those cornerstones properly.  Yeah, that was another of the many goof ups I did.
Tomorrow the backing
then this quilt will be ready to head over to Anne's for long arming.  No, I'm not doing this one.


I wrote this yesterday on Facebook, but I'm going to share it here.  

I was thinking this morning as we shopped and then I came home to do my 15 minute challenge.......isn't it amazing how happy we become when a bunch of young hockey players go out on the ice, play their hearts out and win something they have worked so hard for. Thanks to all of the World Junior Hockey players for a wonderful gift. You have made my week!
The following photos are by Steve Russell, The Toronto Star





Search This Blog