I'll give you close ups of the completed work and then explain how I did it. I knew as soon as I had finished this quilt how I wanted it quilted. I was going to send it out to a long arm quilter and then thought better of it. I wanted one side straight stitching and the circles to pick up the flowers in the quilt. I'm really happy with how this turned out.
I saw something similar on the internet somewhere. No acknowledgement was given to the designer so I can't pass it on. That makes me annoyed when people don't give the pattern designer credit, even if it is themselves.
Here is the whole quilt
It won't matter how to place it, it will look good either way.
The cream section is cut 14 1/2" x 36"
and the pink 22 1/2" x 36".
I used a small cereal bowl to make the circles and placed them in from the edges so they wouldn't disappear when I squared up the quilt. You can start in the middle and work your way to either side. I have the circles touching each other along the side.
I was going to quilt the pink section in straight lines going the opposite direction, but I don't like when you apply the appliqué on top of the stitching. The lines show through. I opted to blanket stitch around the appliqué, as part of the quilting and then machine quilted the rest with different sized flowers.
I have one spot that seems to be a bit open so I'll go back and fix that up.
I'm happy with this design. It is different than using the same fabric throughout. I have another one in my mind to get done and I must see what fabrics in my stash I can use.