Wednesday, January 30, 2013

WIP, FIFI, UFO,

Work in progress; Find it, Finish it; Unfinished Object; Left-overs; Projects Half Done  534086_564959926862991_530834550_n ……doesn’t matter what you call it, its been lying about for awhile and it’s time for it to be done!
When you post something on a blog for all to see, every single day,  you know you better get “tuit” and "git’er" done.  Last year I did start things with great intentions and then I signed up for two courses in the fall which I will never, ever do again, and a lot of “stuff” was set aside.  Then Christmas came and with it all the sewing.  Why do I do this to myself.  This year is going to be different. (She says, hoping she remembers what she said)
I started a bed runner to the point that all I had to do was sandwich and quilt it, I started baby quilts – same thing.  This month was baby quilt month.  They had to be done.  I finished one quilton.blogspot.ca and then I finished the second one.  It felt so good.  IMG_5340
Then I dug out the bed runner. I purchased the magazine just to make this up! I had all the top done and set it aside.  I had great plans, but, the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry.IMG_4510  I love the first bed runner I made.   It keeps our toes warm on cold winter nights.  And we have had some really cold winter nights.  It was time to sit and really work at getting this done.IMG_5352  
I made the backing out of flannel which has been in this house far too long.  I joined it in the middle which I knew I would slightly off set when I sandwiched.  The backing took me a whole afternoon to make.  I sandwiched and left it overnight and then started out the next morning on the machine quilting.  Two days later it was done.  Simple quilting in the middle with free motion on the ends.
BTW, I chose the gold as it workedIMG_5353 well with the fabrics on the back.   I could have chosen a few others but didn’t want to use them up just yet.  They are large pieces and could be backings for lap quilts.
I do a bit of guess work on bindings.  I measure the piece and this one is long….about 98”.  That means 2 1/2 strips per side and one for across both ends.  That was my figuring.  When I got to the end I was 1/8” short.  I made it.  I sewed the pieces together slightly off the crease mark.  Luck was with me.
I’ll do the binding at stitch and chat today and IMG_5345then this one can be put away with the Christmas quilts. 
The magazine is still available online.  It’s the Quilting Celebrations magazine published by Fons and Porter.

This was my January challenge.  I feel good one is done……now onto February.   Hopefully that one won’t be finished up the day before the last day of the month.



I'm going to leave you with this today.  Its pretty cool..........
http://www.swiss-miss.com/2009/09/how-a-sewing-machine-works.html



Search This Blog