Monkey Wrench. It looks so hard and it’s not.
Fabrics…….a strip of fabric cut 7” wide which will then be sub-cut into smaller pieces.
……………….a strip of focal fabric cut 7” wide which will then be sub-cut into smaller pieces.
For each of the fabrics cut
2……2--7/8” squares……..you will have 2 background and 2 focal
1…….3--7/8” square and then cut on the diagonal ONCE
1…….5--1/8” square and then cut on the diagonal ONCE
1……7” square and then cut on the diagonal once.
Lay these fabrics on a flat surface in order as you cut them.
This picture was taken before I noticed a better way to cut the fabric. That’s why my pieces look larger than yours will. Follow the instructions above for cutting.
1. With the four squares – 2 7/8” x 2 7/8” make a four patch, pressing the seams to the darkest fabric.
2. Lay the four patch on a flat surface turning it so it looks like a diamond.
3. Starting with your 3 7/8” pieces of your focal fabric, pin them in place (nos 1 and 2 on the diagram) and stitch. These edges are bias so don’t stretch them.
4. Press them back and then sew the background fabric pieces on to the block. Nos. 3 and 4 in the diagram.
5. Lay your block down again in the same position, with the centre looking like a diamond. Using the pieces from the 5 1/8” cuts, you will now add the first focal fabric to the top and one to the bottom( numbers 1 and 2. The background pieces will be sewn onto the sides of the block…..numbers 3 and 4.
Now you can see that we are sort of going around in circles but making a square.
5. The last pieces are now ready to be sewn down.
Starting once again with the focal fabric sew them to the top and bottom in opposite corners of the block. Press and then do the background numbers 3 and 4.
6. Trim away any excess. Put any extra fabric in a storage bag in case you need it later and put the block with the first block for storage.
A PDF is available. Click here to download. A watermark will appear on the instructions sheets. They are copyright!
All blocks for this quilt are from Electric Quilt 7