Monday, August 13, 2012

Two things I can’t do without

in the sewing room.  I don’t use them often but when I need them, they are there waiting for me.
This is my dowel pointer.  I made it myself so I’m pretty proud of it.  Its simple really.  I went to the lumber yard one day with Karl and purchase a piece of dowelling.  It doesn’t matter the size…….1/4” ~ 3/8”, 1/2”…….you pick.  IMG_3645  Then ~~ and you aren’t going to believe this ~~ I put one end in the pencil sharpener and just like a pencil I started to turn……
IMG_3646
When I was done I used a piece of sandpaper to smooth out the edges.
IMG_3647  I did the point too.   I don’t want it sharp.  If you leave it, you could poke right through your fabric and you don’t want to do that.
IMG_3648
Once that was all done, I trimmed it down with a little hand saw to the length that I wanted.  I have a few of these in different sizes in “the room”.  I find they come in handy for a few things.IMG_3649
Okay, thing #2.  Karl actually made this for me.  I had one for years but eventually it got tossed in the wood pile as the clothespin broke.  I use this for my knitting or for holding instructions I’ve written for my quilting.
It has a base, a piece of dowelling, and a clothespin.  He drilled the hole, put the dowel in along with some glue and then glued on the clothespin.  Simple!  You could paint it if you wanted to, but really why would you.
IMG_3655  Here you go……it holds a recipe card (which this was originally designed for) with your notes for whatever you want to use it for.IMG_3656Wow……..look at these…..a whole bucket full of organically grown tomatoes…….
IMG_3725  and 36 of them made this……
    IMG_3724homemade spisgetti sauce

and one more thing.
I've added some blogs I've found while perusing the internet.  One of them has a French title, but its okay, its actually in English.  It is for a guild in Nova Scotia.  Pop into them and take a gander.

Search This Blog