Friday, August 31, 2012

The weather

seems to have broken.  No more hundred degree days.  Autumn is on the horizon.  All I can say is thank goodness.
Time to put a roast in the oven and enjoy the wonderful smell in the house.  Instead of roasted potatoes I cooked an old favourite.  Hasselback potatoes.  A Swedish dish and named after the restaurant they were first served in. 
They are easy to make and so, so good with beef and fish dishes.  We don’t have them often, but when we do we savour each and every bite.  Of course as with all dishes its to each his own on how to make them.  Mine are simple.
IMG_3805 These potatoes weren’t big, so I used 4.  Karl scrubbed them until the skins were gone and then I sliced them but not all the way through.
I put the potatoes in a baking dish and drizzled them with 2 tablespoons of melted butter, salt to taste and sprinkled them with paprika. 
Bake them in a 350* oven for about 1 hour.  I baste them after the first half hour and then every 15 minutes with the melted butter.
Crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.  Yummy!

Time for another long week-end. This one means unofficially that summer is over and fall is beginning.  Weatherwise that isn't necessarily so, but the kiddies are now back in school, those with children are now done with holidays.  Those of us without little ones can sneak in another week or two away which we are planning on doing sometime this month.

Enjoy and take care.  See you Tuesday.

Photos of the week. 

Although we live in town, we often get wildlife right in the front yard.  Squirrels are not uncommon.  We have black, grey and red.
 
We usual know when this guy is about.  The birds disappear and everything is very quiet.  Unfortunately a little one the other evening wasn't so lucky.  I have no idea what kind of hawk it is.  I just know we see him daily, but never this close.
 
I'm going to leave you with this link.  My friend Deb who writes a blog suggested this link in her blog. I really like the first set of patterns.  I may have to put some ink the printer and run them off for some time way down the road.

Search This Blog