Thursday, February 9, 2012

Little irritations

in life.

One of my huge pet peeves is copyright.  People just don't seem to "get it".  You cannot copy other peoples work and say it is yours even if you change 100 things in it.  It's not legal and it sure as heck isn't fair.

A few years ago I dropped into a local store and saw something hanging on a wall.  My word it looked familiar.  I hadn't designed it but I knew the people that had.  I asked about it and they told me it was a kit and here were the instructions.  Oh, they were there alright, but they weren't their instructions although they had redone them to make it look like they were.  I was mad.  This is where they picked the pattern up from.


Another time I was in the same shop they were selling kits for something else.  Here this one.......I call these five fabric coasters.  I've made a ga-zillion of these but I've never laid claim to them.  I don't know who the original designer was, whether it was this link or not, but don't put your name to something you didn't do.

http://allsorts.typepad.com/allsorts/2006/11/crisscross_coas.html

The amount of time it takes to come up with a pattern is phenomenal.  I appreciate all the time it takes as I did it 2 years ago when designing a quilt for Peter and Heather for the 20th Anniversary. I was using EQ7 but it still took an entire evening of moving this and deleting that.






I have done many of Angie's works.  I love this one the most though.  I made changes to it and I freely admit that, but it doesn't make it mine.
The original design had a Welcome sign attached to it.  My wall hangings of this size hang in my bathroom and I didn't want the welcome part on it.
As it isn't my design in any way, shape or form, I gave Angie credit for it on the label. 
Please don't randomly take a book or a pattern to your local photocopy shop and ask them to reproduce it so that you can give it away willy-nilly to every Jane, Sarah and Henrietta.  It isn't legal, it isn't right.

There are laws and if you get caught it can have consequences.

If you are putting quilts in a show -- your local quild -- take the time to look up the designer of the quilt that you are entering.  When asked on the form you are submitting it asks for it and to say "I don't know" just doesn't cut it with me.
Hours are put into creating quilts.  Please give credit where credit is due.


Search This Blog