Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Continuing on...........

with the disappearing nine patch. If you switch your fabrics around a bit you can get a whole new look. For these blocks I added another colour..............the purple and only had four blocks with white.








After you cut it and then stitch it up like this one.........................


Your quilt will look like this......................keep your eye on the top left corner to start




if you set your blocks just a little bit differently..............like this....................the green square is now at the upper left hand corner and two yellow blocks meet in the centre.


now your quilt will look like this......................


 twisting and turning is what this is all about.  You will get different looks with everything you do and that's the fun of disappearing nine patch.

I've had a lot of fun with this.  You all remember this one.......
Eventually people will catch on that you are doing the same pattern over and over again, but heck who really cares.  I enjoy doing this along with straight to the point.  The Texas Two Step by Atkinson is going to become another favourite really soon too. 

I was talking on the phone the other night to someone while I was designing this.  We were talking about charm squares and what you can do with them.  The EQ patterns were all designed using 5" blocks.  Don't forget  when you sew 3 blocks together across and down you end up with a 15" block.  Once it has been re-cut it turns into a 13 1/2" block so it's a fairly good size.  Would I make a queen size quilt out of this pattern?  Probably.  You would need 11 blocks across and 11 down so it would take time to make it, but it is a doable project.

Tomorrow, I came up with one more nine patch...........................

F Y I


Those of us that live locally know Anita Zobens of Cotton Mills Threadworks. Anita is having an Open House this Friday, October 21 and Saturday, October 22. You can read all about it here.
I plan on going over as I need some Superior Bottom Line thread for my mega quilter. Maybe I will see you there.







Search This Blog