Saturday, August 14, 2010

The Quilts of Gee's Bend

Before I begin today's blog, I would like you to click on the link below and read what happened to a Canadian designer on her way to Quilt Market in Minnesota. 

http://daphnegreig.blogspot.com/2010/05/quilt-market-report.html

Feel free to leave your comments at the end of my blog or leave them for Daphne on her's.



The three of us were on the road by 9:15 and arrived in London sometime around 10:30.  We paid for the parking and then took the elevator upstairs into the Convention Centre.  I don't know what I expected -- something like last year's show I guess.  Quite a few merchants and then the focal point of the show.....the quilts!

Disappointed -- yes, I was.  There were four merchants at the show.  I bought one pattern.  We wandered around for a bit to see the Quilts of Gee's Bend.  The work is very primitive and it is very expensive to buy. 
They are very different from anything you will see anywhere else.  The women of Gee's Bend have definitely kept their tradition alive..............sort of.  I think and I'm quite possibly wrong, that they are cashing in on the hype that is being generated about these quilts.








 I think my problem with them is the helter-skelter nature of them.  I am a perfectionist, I know I am, and this off-kilter work just doesn't do a thing for me.  They are all hand quilting.  I think what I would have loved to see, more than anything,  the quilts the slaves did........or at least older ones, not the quilts of today by the women of Gee's Bend.

In other years we could buy a DVD of the show.  This year.  No.  The women of Gee's Bend have total control over everything and one wasn't available. A bit of a disappointment.

The day wasn't all lost.  We stopped for a fantastic fish and chip lunch in London, popped into a quilt shop and bought a few fat quarters and while coming home I asked the girls if they would like to go to Paris.  We all agreed and we stopped into Mary Maxim's.  I spent money there.  I bought two kits...................one for a new purse and one for a really smart looking apron.

The kit for the purse/bag included the batik fabric and the pattern.  The pattern is called Diva Essential Designer Bag.  It will be really different when its done.

The other kit is for a charm pack apron.  An original pattern from Mary Maxim and I will post it when I get it done.  It is simple, simple sewing.

I also picked up some Christmas gifts for friends while I was there.  They have such great little things that I don't find other places.  I hope the girls like them.  Sorry, can't show photos of that.

Well, better go.  I'm packing my suitcase this week-end.  We are off for a week's vacation.  We are hitting the road and going to do nothing but sew and read, eat and sleep, then start it all over again the next day.  I'll be gone for 5 days this time.............Monday to Friday.  Doesn't this look inviting?  We will do a little tour of the area but not much.  Its familiar territory to us as we have been that way a time or two before.

Emily - Ontario Provincial Park






Have a good week, while I'm gone. 

Til then..............

P.S.   Today my thoughts are with my friend Betty down in Illinois.  Betty's husband Roger was rushed to hospital yesterday.  I sincerely wish that everything is well with both of them.
Love and hugs

Search This Blog