I did some quick thinking -- so quick it took me three months. I finally got the brain in gear and took the sickly green batik and threw it in the batik box, trimmed off one of the strips across the bottom of the panel, trimmed off the selvedge edge of the all over jungle print and added grey fabric from Connecting Threads to each side.
Then I fused the backing to fusible batting. This was a piece I had left over from another quilt. I start in the middle pressing it and then work my way out to the top and the sides. Try not to iron it, as you can stretch the backing doing it that way. Well, I can anyway.
Once it was fused, I trimmed away the excess. Then I found the middle of the all over print and placed a pin at the top and the bottom.
Before I placed the front down, I finger pressed the centre and then lined it up with the pins. As fusible batting can over time separate from the fabric, I pin it all together before I start to machine quilt.
I use my big ironing board that Karl made me. However, the softness of the cover makes for a wee problem......the pin tends to go into it. Solved that one!
I had Karl make me a board. It is a piece of masonite from the workshop. Masonite is hard and no pin will penetrate it. On the other side he glued a piece of cork. I have a board that has two purposes.
When I pin I use a tool called a Kwik Klip. I bought it years ago in the store I worked in, but its still available. I find it saves my fingers when putting in the pins. I try to pin where I know I'm not going to machine quilt. Sometimes I'm very succesful, sometimes I'm not.
Hancocks of Paducah carry the Kwik Klip.
The quilt is ready to be done. It is going to be a nap mat when its finished. About 21" x 29". Those little strips at the top and bottom, I'm saving. They may go on the bottom of some burp cloths.