Friday, February 5, 2010

It doesn't have to be red

Today is decorating day at our house.  Time to get out all those little wallhangings that have been made over the years for Valentine's Day.  We don't go on for dinner on the day, because I don't like to be rushed through a meal.  We have an anniversary this Saturday so perhaps we should go out then! (45 years engaged.......would I do it again -- darn tootin')  I'm going to make baked chicken breasts with a tomato,zucchini, parmessan cheese sauce on a bed of noodles.  Oh, that does sound good, doesn't it.


A few years ago, I bought a book from Rodale called Fast, Fun and Fabulous Quilts.  I have made lot of wallhangings from it.  This is only a partial!  I do have the full one, but who knows where it went to. (A child may have received it.)  This hangs on a little wee piece of wall in my hallway.  I took all the reds, and pinks from my then stash and made it up.  I machine quilted them in place and I didn't use fusible web. 



This one hangs on our front door.  It is really old.  1992!  It was a block of the month from the Halton Quilters Guild.  It was one of those patterns that caught my eye and I just wanted to make it.  My goodness, I was doing embroidery and quilting way back then.
This one hangs on the glass door into our living-room.  I try to have something long for this door.  I had bought this fabric line and then when I got home from Pennsylvania I didn't know what to use it on.  The bright yellow is something totally different for Valentine's month!
I don't know about this one.  I thought it was from Thimbleberries, but there is no label -- I know, I know! -- shame on me.  It is done in blues, rusts, creams and green and good grief it is hand quilted!  My husband made the stand for it.  It has a place of honour in the living-room.  We saw a similar stand at Cracker Barrel in the USA.  I really really like this one.  If I find the book I found it in, I'll post for you. 


This has been around for awhile too.  At the Quilt Patch in Bronte......now that's the Quilt Patch not the new store....we had a Thimbleberries group that met once a month and we did something every month.  Susan and the bunch of us had a lot of fun on the nights we met.  This was from one month.  I think I got most of the top done at the class, came home and did the rest.  I put a batting in it that is heat resistant.  The product I use now is called Insul-Bright.  I buy it from Connecting Threads because I can't find the other product here in my area anymore.  When I finished making what is now the centre piece for my dining table, I decided to make placemats to go with it.
Just four of them.
I'll start to use them all tomorrow night. 

Here is a little bit of what we will be eating for dessert.  My friend Kim dropped these off the other day.  She is a caterer and loves to fiddle with food.  I'm so glad she does.  Dollip of white chocolate, three blueberries topped with a great big fat raspberry and drizzled with more white chocolate.  Oh they are to die for.  Not dieting today!

Search This Blog