A few years ago at a guild quilt show, I bought 2 jelly roll packages. Not two the same, two different ones, but they did co-ordinate. Two jelly rolls don't do much I found out later after I bought a book to see what I could do with them. I didn't like them! I threw them in the cupboard and there they sat. This spring I needed to make a bag for a guest speaker at a workshop. Out they came. I made the bag and it did turn out nicely.
Now what to do with the rest of the strips. I gave some away in a swap and was glad to see them go. But I still had all the rest of them.
I started looking on the internet for some ideas. I finally found a pattern that I could use. I only wanted to use up what I had in my stash. I didn't want to buy anymore.
I started the quilt top as it was going to be fast, but then other quilts took over and it got set aside. I finally got back to it the other day.
This is the pattern I have been using. Mine of course will only be similar in appearance as I made mine much smaller. Mine could be either a table topper or it could be a baby quilt. It will only measure about
35" x 35" when its done. This quilt is made in a rectangluar shape and then it is cut in such a way that once you sew it back together, it becomes a square. It is a really neat technique.
Of course, once it is cut, you have bias to contend with. The tip I learned using this pattern is that if you press interfacing to the wrong side where you cut it, you won't have to worry about stretching of the bias.
In my haste to "get to it" the other day, I forgot the interfacing. I went back to the cutting table and cut strips of interfacing, 1/2" wide by the length, and pressed them on. It worked!